Cyprinodontiformes vivíparos e ovovivíparos
Poor market offer can’t reach hobbyists aspirations to certain species. In fact, only though particular friends or foreign associations and clubs auctions is possible to reach some species.
This is the realization of an enduring work that took place on the last century and a half or so, manipulating an incredible number of generations thru a careful selection by the enthusiasts of this leisure pursuit occupation. Some of the end result of man playing God with pets, are today's row material for an millionaire international market of aquarium fish trade.
Even so, under the most remarkable foreign world specialist’s excellence parameters, only relatively poor or low quality cultivated fish could be usually available at our national pet shops.
More or less classified here by ease of find, these were the only species present normally in Portuguese commerce :
Poecilia spp ( hybrids between more common Molly species in aquaria )
By other hand, the very rare and almost inexistent specimens of original morphology and body coloration ( more or less ), were deeply ignored by consumers and considered a dreadful investment for those whom main goal was to sell a lot and fast as possible.
Only after 1998, ( but once in a blue moon and merely in some exceptional occasions ), the following species were imported :
Part of the described look down on the livebearers Cyprinodontiformes in Portugal can be justified by the lack of information remaining among aquarium fans concerning these Sub-Families of fishes, other than the usual small amount of ordinary species available.
Another also important role on this matter is paid by the large majority of the aquarium keeper society in the national panorama, who still insists to look on freshwater fish resembling as much as possible with those exhibiting exceptional colorations on the tropical coral seas. Pursuing that effort, people buy frequently hybrids and even animals submitted to painful treatments using brutal and inhuman practice in order to look after colourful and prettiest at our eyes.
Thanks to this philosophy, many aquarium keepers frequently do not think a minute before joint together in the same tank living beings who originally coming from different biotopes that naturally display dramatic differences on the physical and chemical parameters. All of this is done in the name of a more valuable esthetical result under our own beauty concept.
Regarding livebearer Cyprinodontiformes kept in our country, besides the two above-mentioned lists of species, only a small number of privileged lucky persons ( some of them real fans others only transient ), could maintain or have maintained during some time, an even less reduced number of species that never appear in the market and, by that reason, cannot be considered here or evaluated by lack of information about it.
Usually a great number of this experiences didn’t work out for long, as they have failed by endogamy reasons or sudden disinterest caused by this unique fish, ( very rare presence in aquarium ), be short of coloration or bloom.
Most of these stocks originally came from trade made in foreign countries or even travelled as “ clandestine “ in some return flight from vacations from the natural distribution or to some region where Poecilids more wide spread speceies were introduced by man in the past.
Consequently the preponderance of this rare populations were not composed by fish collected in the wild but, instead, by their descendents raised in aquarium at less or long number of generations in Europe, United States or Japan. Others came from those captured on lakes in public urban gardens, hotels or resorts before the return back home while travelling.
As always there are some exceptions on everything written above.
Any way, it results very on a evident need to react against this status quo and the imperative require for searching conditions to spread the news about the potentialities found out on abundant number of species from these fishes Sub-Families, unknown to a vast majority of aquarists in this country.
On meanwhile urgent support to fans of these animals was also crucial before more give up’s take palace. Everything should be made to create the chances to increase better results while keeping these fishes.
Another reason is concerned with an easier access by the fans or simple interested people to species until now unavailable on pet shops.
Also really important is to create means to stimulate the end of failures, ( generally due to the need of support or apathetic keepers ), specially if we are talking about rare populations in captivity threatened in nature or even extinct by now.
The next step is to take a careful look on the rules of the project coming below, where all you need to know about it is there and eventually can help a better evaluation on your possible participation.
Participants should try best effords to data update with reference to stocks or collections kept.
Another golden rule is willingness to receive and to offer some fish of traditional and unusual species.
This aim doesn’t work only with newcomers starting culture supplying, but also to preserve and keep up stocks in good genetic viability by “ new blood “ input.
Above all is important to let very clearly that the fish exchanges or offers can’t work as a imposition or as a rule . Any hypothetical pressure or moral claim to participate in fish trade is absolutely unacceptable at all. Everyone must feel it naturally.
Genetic viability and survival of a small number of fish keept, depends much on stock heredity renovation from time to time.
Organized cooperation involving breeders and keepers is vital; especially when considering space contingencies to maintain in good health several hundred reproductive mature animals and respective offspring.
Simultaneously with remaining objectives, the noblest and most important resource on a program of this kind is a metapopulations management plan to avoid at any cost the genetic problems in small populations.
Based on this principle, it was prepared a very unsophisticated database with two sorts of information - one available to universal public and other only accessed by participants.
Inside we can find the below contents :
Species, sub-species and strains identification list ( including captivity man made strains throughout breeding selection )
Source identification list ( original wild fishes source location )
Participants stock record ( with lineage and original supply identification )
Fishes exchanges are encouraged but are far from be held as an obligation. Any participant must handle owned stocks as well as personal point of view may guide him.
The program will not interfere on participant’s acts. It is purely an information support and can’t impose any sort of fish collection administration measures.
Exchange, offer, acquisition, sail and buying acts or proceedings are participants fully responsibility only.
A mere information and divulgation process is not answerable for any sort of arrangements between participants, except by connecting them and to present important information about individual stock convenience.
To reveal more of why it is necessary to go a little further, PGA project is also committed to the fallowing objectives :
2) Working for the acknowledgment and for a better expertise on all species and populations of livebearers Cyprinodontiformes without exception.
3) Working for the methodology of upholding and breeding livebearers Cyprinodontiformes in aquarium under the best possible conditions, specifically regarding their respective biology and species nutrition essentials or physic and chemical requests. In this way of acting it is included the study and implementation of conduct proceedings, on an ethnic and moral basis, concerning the animals care, reproduction, commerce, transport and captures in nature.
4) Working for awareness upon the requests for environment conservation of livebearers Cyprinodontiformes habitat ecosystems.
5) Working for better knowledge about the natural habitat, specific biotopes, biology, and ecological requirements of the livebearers Cyprinodontiformes.
6) Working for guide keepers and breeders to finish crossbreed between species in aquarium and for the implementation of an effective identification system of populations maintaining their genetic purity.
8) Constitute a data base on which it will be possible to find all the necessary records about the species and stocks in aquarium based on the partipants contributions. Part it will be available as public information and part reserved only for internal consulting.
8.1) Better stock management by controlled specimen exchange avoiding the armful effects of endogamy.
8.2) Creating access to information about who is keeping what species in a precise moment, facilitating fish spreading among those who really are looking for them.
8.3) Effective global management of those species threatened or vanished in nature, carrying of a better perspective of the conservationist efforts, dispersing this responsibility for several interested hobbyists and not only by one or by a small number excessively concentrated.
8.4) Avoid crossbreed between different populations of the same species as an warranty for it genetic purity.
8.5) To encouraging species and populations dissemination by the largest number of keepers.
8.6) Eventually support aquarium artificial selection strain breeders in deference by the PGA objectives and assure no crosses of these fishes with “ wild “ type populations.
9) To organize working meetings, events for exchange of know how and fish, technical presentations, debates, small conventions, nature expeditions, exhibitions, organized tours to other groups events, and so on.
10) Work on the administration of an internal mailing list for the usual purposes and participant’s learning needs support.
11) Assist new members or any one else to get new species or population specimen throughout fish exchange or simple donations.
13) Respect by dissimilarity, valuating different know how’s and experience.
14) Respect by nature and by sustainable development.
15) Respect by clearness on the relations between participants and on the information send out by PGA.
16) Respect by members privacy.
17) Respect by national and international Laws.
19) To involve itself by free option in volunteer responsibilities while participant on the PGA approach to accomplish the project objectives.
20) To be helped oriented or improve self-understanding on care and breeding livebearer Cyprinodontiformes.
21) To be respected on individual estimation and principles.
22) To be author of works published at website if not refused only by ethical or scientific arguments.
24) To contribute individually or collectively to the objectives and achievements of PGA.
25) To be right and demonstrate a civic conduct during relations with other members.
26) To promote friendship and help actions to benefit and improve PGA performance.
27) To have a word in the name of PGA only if by-law mandated to do so. Participants shall also be aware of their general conduct whilst representing the project in any capacity, and shall not conduct themselves in a manner, which could bring the system into disrepute.
28) To help new comers to an easy integration and all interested in keep and breed livebearer Cyprinodontiformes with fine suggestions or fish donation when possible.
30) Admittance of a new participant is only possible after proposal by the candidate.
31) Admittance of a new participant can never be refused based on membership in fish keeping type organizations, nationality, race, language, believes, political ideology or occupation.
Minors by Law do not need parental or guardian written authorization prior to subscription.
32) Admittance of participants is always free.
33) Subscription does not evolve any future costs or charges, except the just payment of remunerated activities or events and only by the respective participants ( and only after acknowledged the advertised tariffs ).
34) Someone wishing to resign participation must only send a written message informing about this intention.
Any participant found guilty of misconduct ( i.e. behaviour contrary to these rules ) or heavy legal sentence, may be invited to leave the project.
Any person expelled will have the right to appeal not later than 15 days from the date of expulsion.
Where the membership shall be terminated in this way the expelled participant shall be informed in writing that the respective link to the project is no longer valid by notice handed to him/her or sent by e-mail to last known address in less than 5 days.
E-mail address *
Town and country
Under national and international Laws all these data will considered by the highest levels of confidentiality in entire respect for members privacy.
The act of subscription confirm candidates understanding and acceptance that all the project rules shall govern the participation and constitute blinding contract to regulate the relationship of them with each other and with the PGA program.
Subscription will immediately free access the new participant to internal information at data base, to receive and send e-mail messages into the mailing list, the right to be invited to participants meetings, to be present in all events organized by the PGA, among other rights and services.
© 2006 - 2011 All Rights Reserved
e-mail : viviparos.com
While the content is in the public domain, some pages contain images and material that are copyrighted by others and used here with permission.
Such information is available for private use, study or research. You should obtain permission from the copyright owner for other uses. Please carefully examine all the content and all linked pages for copyright restrictions and to secure the necessary permissions.
These data and information are provided with the understanding that they are not guaranteed to be correct or complete. Users are cautioned to consider carefully the provisional nature of these data and information before using them; such data and information are the singular responsibility of the user.